When you visit the dentist only on an as-needed basis, such as to repair a broken tooth or treat a bad toothache, you are missing out on the many benefits that preventive dental care can provide, including avoiding these dental problems to begin with. By scheduling routine dental appointments, you can protect your oral health from coming to harm by treating the early stages of conditions.
The American Dental Association recommends dental checkups be scheduled every six months so that patients can benefit from professional dental exams and cleanings, though if you have vulnerable oral health, you may need to visit more often. The cleaning process can fully eliminate plaque from your teeth and gums, and the exam can reveal early symptoms of cavities, gum disease, tooth enamel loss and oral cancer.
You may need to schedule a dental visit before your next dental checkup if you have noticed any of the following oral health conditions:
– Changes in your gums and teeth, such as new color or texture
– If brushing and flossing your teeth cause the gums to bleed
– A bad taste or foul breath that dental cleanings can’t improve
– Changes in your bite, such as new alignments of your teeth
– The development of an illness or medical condition or visiting your doctor for new prescription medication
Contact Douglas M. Adel, DDS, P.A. at 386-462-4635 today if you are ready for a dental checkup in Alachua, Florida, or need to speak with Dr. Adel about a dental concern.